Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Changed U.S. Rules For Overtime Pay Roil the Workplace

The Wall Street Journal 09/07/04
author: Kris Maher / Dow Jones
(Copyright (c) 2004, Dow Jones & Company, Inc.)

I'm not sure I get this. Isn't overtime a "choice" by an employer? If an employer doesn't give overtime pay, people will stop working overtime, or will work for another company which does pay overtime.

I guess in those situations where the company says, "work the time or get another job," could be an issue, but this really only works in a tight job market. What are companies going to do change their policies every few years? That is very expensive, but I guess they do that anyway. So I guess this will mainly be an issue for employees who don't have many choices, and employers who do. I can see why this has gotten so many people riled up, nobody likes to work more hours for less money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home